Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap...

This is another thing I have been seeing floating around pinterest. I'm so proud of myself for actually doing a few projects that I have pinned! Before I embarked on this adventure of homemade laundry detergent I had to do my homework. I'm a coupon girl, so I generally get my laundry detergent for pretty cheap anyway. When I did the math on this stuff I believe it will save me about half, that's pretty good! This "recipe" is the non-cook approach and only requires three ingredients.
First you need your ingredients: You will need 1 bar of Fels -Naptha Soap, 1 box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, and 1 box of 20 Mule Team Borax. I found all these items in the laundry detergent aisle at Wal Mart. I checked Target first and the only thing they carried in my store was the borax. Am I the only person that gets totally bummed when Target doesn't carry something? Anyway...


Unwrap your Fels-Naptha bar and grate it on the finest option on your cheese grater. You can do this over a plate or right into the container you will use to hold your new soap. It will end up looking like a big pile of cheddar cheese.



Add 1 cup of the washing soda and 1 cup of the borax. Stir so that it is all combined. I have read where a few people toss all this into a food processor but that's just an extra step that's not completely necessary.



I purchase this glass jar to keep my soap in and I made a delightful label to put on the front using my silhouette.



Use 1 Tablespoon per load.
Yes you can use it with cold water wash
Yes those little yellow shreds will dissolve in the wash
I have done about 10 loads of laundry with my new soap and so far I am satisfied:)
Have you ever made homemade laundry soap? I would love to hear any tips or tricks you have!

Have a wonderful day!
With Love, Angela

I linked up with A Bowl Full of Lemons "One Project at a Time" linky party!

No comments:

Post a Comment